This post has already been read 409 times!
Learning the Singular and Plural Words is very important in Learning Grammar. It will help in correct way of learning any language. If you speak with singular plural mistakes, people might sometime tease you.
Many think plural form of a word can be formed by just simply adding suffix ‘s’. It’s not so. But, having that wrong thought they make mistakes.
For example, the plural form of man is men. But, some people think as mans.
So you need to know the singular and plural words very clearly to avoid mistakes. I have given some singular and plurals words (normal and irregular form). Try to learn, find meaning, use in sentences and practise them.
The Rules for Singular and Plural Words
- You mention a thing – singular. Example: book.
- You mention more than one – plural. Example: books.
- Singular words never change.
- But plurals change under nine rules.
9 Rules for Plural Words
- Some change just with ‘s’. Examples: Book – Books, Pen – Pens etc.
- Some change taking ‘es’. (Mostly words ending in ‘h’, ‘s’, ‘x’ and ‘o’.) Examples: Watch – watches, Bus – Buses, Box – Boxes, Mango – Mangoes
- Sometimes words ending in ‘x’ form the plural form by taking few letters as suffix. Example: Ox – Oxen.
- Words ending in ‘y’ drop the last letter ‘y’ and make the plural words with ‘ies’. But take only ‘s’ when vowels come before ‘y’. Examples: Lady – Ladies, Baby – Babies, Monkey – Monkeys, Boy – Boys
- Some words take few letters as suffix and play the plural form. Example: Child – Children.
- Some by changing letters in the middle. Examples: Man – Men, Foot – Feet, Tooth – Teeth.
- Some plurals framed by framing new words. Examples: Mouse – Mice
- Words ending in ‘f’ and ‘fe’ like wolf, wife drop the letter ‘f’ and take in ‘ves’ for plural forms. Examples: Knife – Knives, Calf – Calves, Wife – Wives.
- Note: Some words are the same for the singular as well as plural.
Examples: Fish – Fish, Fee – Fee, Deer – Deer.
Some Singular and Plural Words
Memorize plural forms of singular words and use them in your speech whenever necessary.
External Resources for Singular and Plural Words
I hope this article regarding singular and plural words is helpful to you. Practise these words in your day-to-day use. Try to use them in apt situation.
I welcome your constructive comments.